Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Budget...I cringe at the word.

Josh and I have been working really hard this week on (finally) setting a budget. Luckily, we haven't had to live by a very strict one over the past 2 1/2 years....except for that one year we spent in DC...but we didn't have any money...so how were we suppose to set a budget?! But now, it's time to start and we're already having a hard time with it...or at least I am! Our goal is to start living on Josh's salary alone...or as much as we can....so we can start preparing for the future...whatever that may hold. For our variable expenses like food and entertainment, we've decided to start using the "cash envelope system" instead of putting those things on our credit card or check card. We also each have a "Blow" envelope with money that we can use (or blow) on whatever we want. I'll have to use my "blow" money on things like Starbucks, mani/pedis, impulse buys at Target, iTunes, clothes I want (don't need), etc. The thing is...I only have $100 in my "blow" money this month....shucky darn. So, we'll see how this goes...I'll keep you posted.

Well, I'm off to bed. I have to get up early in the morning to meet with my personal trainer...don't worry...he's not in the new budget. Again...darn.

3 comments:

Finally an Abrigg..... said...

welcome to the world of the envelope system. it works really well for peter and i. :) i stayed home from work yesterday with a fever!!!

Anonymous said...

mindy i am trying to figure out which is more gay, this or chloe's "Dogbook" -jacob-

Becky Kiser said...

I found your blog through Fabulous K... My husband and I just got married a couple of months ago and are working on the budget too. The "blow money" fund has increased each month though as he sees that we were too tight at the beginning. Hope that gives you some encouragement. :)