Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kindergarten Bread...

I've never made bread in my life....until tonight! My Aunt Shirley shared with me an amazing bread recipe that is so delicious....it's perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack. It's called Kindergarten Bread because it's so easy to make even a kindergartner could make it. And, it's true! So easy...and so GOOD!

Ingredients
2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Grandma's Molasses (this is the secret ingredient)
2 Tbsp. Shortening
4 Cups Water
1 Yeast Package
1 Tbsp. Salt
8 Cups Flour
Cooking Spray
2-3 Tbsp. Butter

Directions
Combine Oats, sugar, molasses and shortening in a large bowl. Add 3 1/2 cups of boiling water. Stir well and cool until luke warm. Add 1 package of yeast dissolved in 1/2 cup of luke warm water. Add 1 Tbsp. of salt and 8 cups of flour. Mix as well as you can (dough will be very stiff). I used my hands. Place the dough in a large bowl (with room for the dough to rise) sprayed well with cooking spray. Spray the top of the dough with cooking spray and cover with saran wrap. Refrigerate overnight. The next day, divide dough in half and place in 2 loaf pans sprayed with cooking spray. Let rise for 1 hour. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350. If loaves start getting too brown on top, put foil over them until fully baked. When you take the bread out of the oven, rub the tops with butter. Cool on cooling rack. Enjoy!!!

Right before they went in the oven...

The finished product...


Thanks Aunt Shirley for introducing me to this terrific bread!! XOXO!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I made the bread this weekend, it is soooo yummy! Nate and I gobbled up our loaf and I gave the other to our neighbor. Thanks for sharing Mindy!!