Sunday, June 13, 2010

Conquering Shoe Day...

Shoe day at camp is an amazing day...for both the Zambians and Americans...but it takes a ton of work and intense organization to pull it off! This past Thursday we outfitted 900 kids with new shoes in a little over 3 hours!

First the truck is loaded at our car park (where our containers are stored in Lusaka) with all of the shoes we'll need...and then unloaded at the Gospel Outreach Center, where Camp LIFE takes place...
All of the Americans form a huge assembly line to transport the boxes from the truck to the front of the GO Center...

Then the shoes are unpacked and organized on the stage by size...
Finally, the kids are brought inside in groups (about 300 at a time), sized and fitted with their brand new pair of shoes!

It takes an army...and the grace of God to pull it off! The excitement and smiles on the kids faces makes all of the hard work worth it!

1 comment:

Taylor and Brian said...

Mindy, I dont know if you remember me but we used to live in Temple down the street from you guys in Canyon Creek. My brother, Grant O'Neal, is in Zambia right now and I have been following your blog. I just saw him in a picture unloading shoes and it made me so happy. I have been to Zambia twice and it is so hard waiting to hear from him. Thanks for all of your awesome posts. Keep them coming!