Thursday, July 15, 2010

Minor Adjustments...

Tomorrow will mark one week that I have been back in the good ole U S of A. This week has been so good for me...I've had a lot of time to myself to reflect on the past 2 months and to get my life here in the states back in order. I'm finally finished with all of the laundry, unpacking, going through all of the mail, paying late bills, etc., which is a great feeling. I think I'll be ready to return to the office on Monday and really get back into my normal routine. Mom and I have started making some decisions for the nursery and my darling friend, Mel, was so kind to help me get my registry started (that is a daunting task!) yesterday. I've spent quite a bit a time on the computer doing research on baby furniture and products....it's so overwhelming, but fun!

Adjusting to life back in the states has been interesting! Here are a few minor things that I've to get use to again...

Driving (I didn't drive for 8 straight weeks....and they drive on the left side of the road and right side of the car in Zambia.)

Using a dish washer (Not an option in Zambia...but I quickly got use to hand washing, and to be honest, it's not that bad.)

Drinking skim milk (I have a new appreciation for whole milk! They have low fat milk in Zambia, but it's more expensive, so whole milk it was. At first it was a little thick and full flavored, but I must admit that I'm missing it! Next time I'm at the grocery store, I'm probably going to by 1% or 2%...I need a little more than skim now!)

The HEAT (Good gosh....it's hot here! The weather in Zambia right now is quite chilly and dry...I miss that so much!)

Long days (The sun goes down around 6pm in Zambia, so having daylight until almost 9pm has been different!)

Being by myself (There was very little alone time in Zambia...I was always with other people, so being by myself, especially at home, has been really weird. It's sooo quiet. I've found myself feeling a little lonely.)

TV (The only TV I had the option to watch in Zambia was a few World Cup games, which I really wasn't that interested in. I really enjoyed the break from the tube, but it's nice to have it back!)

I know these are all silly things, but life in Zambia is so different! I definitely miss it...and most of all...I miss my hubby. Sharing the experience with him was so amazing! Two more weeks until he is home!

No comments: